Christ Church History
History Prepared by Art Travers
1850 – Hannah Garland (St. John’s) Travers buried on family farm.
There was no Church of England churches or cemeteries in the area.
This was the start of the Christ Church.
1851 – The Great Storm “The Yankee Gale” caused the lost of 90 ships and 160 men.
15 sailors are buried near Hannah Travers.
Three bodies wrapped in sailcloth were found in 1996 by gravediggers as they prepared a plot in the cemetery.
12 more sailors are buried in parts unknown at this time.
1859 –Arrival of Church of England Minister
Rev. William Dyer
Rev. Dyer having discovered the area near the Travers Graveyard had the beginnings of a building, pushed local farmers to build a church.
During the two years it took local farmers to build the church, Rev. Dyer held service at Kildare Capes Schoolhouse No. 29.
1866 –Church was consecrated. (After a two-year build by local farmers.)
Mary and Jane Travers gave the graveyard property; an area of about two acres to the church, but did not make out a deed for the transfer of the property. This became a problem one hundred years later when the property changed hands. Finally, Dr. Robert Borgman of North Carolina purchased the adjoining property and he had a proper deed drawn up
1923- August 18th, Church burned to the ground.
Communion vessels and the Organ were saved.
Organ had been a gift from Jane Travers, but she never heard it played. She died the day it arrived and it was played for the first time at her funeral. The organ still exists and is in a local farmhouse.
1924- December 12th, First Service in new building.
Members of the church purchased the Methodist church in Montrose, hauled it by horse and capstan, a distance of about five miles, to the church site and mounted the building on the same foundation.
The church was very active up to the beginning of WW2 when most of the young people left and very few returned.
1995- last Local member of congregation passed away.
Summer residents of various denominations continue to support the church and parish.
Evening Service is held every Sunday at 7 PM from Mid-June to Mid-September.
(confirm weekly with Blog for any change in schedule).